Luogo Categoria: Highlights
The Roman amphitheater is Sutri’s most famous landmark. Until the 17th century, the traditional representation of Christ’s Passion took place in this ancient construction. Completely buried until the beginning of the 19th century, it was used as pastureland by the Savorelli family, who inherited it together with the villa above.
The open air-venue was partially brought to light between 1835 and 1838 and subsequently unearthed in the early 1900s. Located outside the ancient city walls, it is entirely carved out of tufa rock and one of a kind. The planimetric system develops around an elliptical arena surrounded by a high podium. The internal gallery has ten doors utilized during the entertainment events. A peculiarity that can only be found in this Amphitheater consists of a series of eight individual curved-back seats carved into the media cavea (steps for the spectators). Scholars haven’t yet agreed on the explanation about this structure. Probably the amphitheater dates back to between the 1st century BC and the 1st century AD., as evidenced by the similarity with the first amphitheaters in Rome and in Campania, especially that of Pompei.
This post is also available in: Italian